Sunday, November 10, 2013

Nostalgia, Baby Things, & Chicken Potholders

I finished the baby afghan I was working on last week.  It was a simple afghan and I used size 15 needles.  The yarn is very easy to snag.  I think an addition of cotton or wool to the yarn would have helped the fiber snag less.  With the tiny amount of yarn left, I was able to edge a pair of booties.  In my opinion, it really set them off.

I used the new pompom yarn and made a pair of booties.  I think this yarn is a little too girlish.  An afghan may be OK for both sexes, but clothes look too feminine.  What do you think?



I took a break from making baby items and I made chicken pot holders.  I seldom use the type of fibers I have used lately.  My preference is thinner yarn made from all natural fibers such as wool and cotton.  These chickens are safe from neighborhood dogs.

 






I scanned a few more old pictures and I wanted to share them with you.  The first one is of myself, my older sister, and my grandmother.  The picture is taken on my grandparents farm outside of Colby, Kansas, in front of a corn field.  I love the way grandma is looking up at the camera.  As you see, I did have thin legs at one time.  LOL



This picture was taken with my grandparents, my brothers, and my cousins.  It was probably taken around 1970ish, give or take a year or two.  I was on the far left holding a cousin.


This picture was taken when I was in elementary school.  We lived in the country and my sister and I were walking down the lane, or driveway to the house, which sounds much less nostalgic.


When I was in elementary school(1969), my mother, my grandparents, and all 4 of us kids took a trip to Iowa---in one car.  We were probably in the Mercury.  I learned you could sunburn while riding in a car. LOL   I also remember my Aunt Clara and Uncle Harry had a two story farm house with a  large garden.   I have often thought about that trip, especially on a hot day while I am working in the yard.  I am glad I was able to find this photo.  Too bad I do not have a picture of my aunt and uncle from this time to add to this memory.  I am on the far left and you can't see most of me.  My pretty sister is in front of me.


How was your weekend?  I hope you were blessed with fond memories.  Dawnie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Came across your blog and you have to know the chicken potholder caught my eye, will have to see if my mother can make me a couple, just adorable.

Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino
The Chicken Chick
http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com