Wednesday, February 8, 2012

New projects with hand spun yarn.

I find myself viewing so many photos in Pinterest.  They may be decorating or remodeling ideas.  Food is always a big interest of mine.  Craft projects are always fun too.  I noticed a fingerless glove/cuff made by a lady in Germany.  She used a beige colored yarn and knitted a cuff.  Then she placed a lacy crocheted top to the cuff which was lined with a baby pink mohair stockinette stitch, (knit one row, purl one row), piece which extended the glove/cuff area about 4 inches.  You can view hers at:  http://schnuddel44.blogspot.com/2010/09/elf-clobber.html  If you would like my pattern you may obtain it free from my website.






I decided to make one similar to this, but use my lumpy bumpy rainbow died hand spun kid mohair yarn.  I used a green color hand spun and lined the top with an antique colored light green mohair and silk blend manufactured yarn.  I crocheted the cuff by crocheting in the back loop of the stitch which gives the crocheting a ridge.  Instead of making an intricate crocheted top to the cuff, I just made chains of 6 or 8 stitches and single crocheted around those chains.  A fancy pattern would not even show up with the novelty yarn.

One of the reasons I made this fingerless glove/cuff is to show others that you do not need large quantities of  hand spun yarn to add a lot of interest in a garment.  Even though I used a chunky bottom, the delicate top says I am all woman!




My second project is made from angora from my angora rabbit, Ruby.  I hand dyed the yarn after it was spun.  I tied pieces of fabric on the yarn in random places just before it was placed into the dye pot in order for it to have lighter areas.  One color, without some variation or texture is too plain for me.  I plied this yarn with a soft wool died with the same colors, but I dyed it prior to spinning it.  Then I made squares in the modular knitting style.  This is a cowl, a collar, or a head band.  Wear it any way you want to wear it.

Thank you for reading my blog.  I wish you and yours many blessings now and in the future.  Dawn


No comments: