Monday, May 18, 2009

I want to show you some more experimenting with plying. One single ply yarn can look so different, depending on the second ply.

I first spin a single yarn with a lavender batt containing Shetland, Merino, Mystery Wool, and Kid Mohair. There are some lumps and bumps designed in the batt. The first sample is a single ply, with the twist sent. The second sample is a 2 ply yarn using the same fiber for both plies. The third sample has a second ply of cream colored Merino/Montdale. The fourth has a second ply of Athena yarn. The 5th sample is Fiesta yarn as the second ply. Finally the 6th sample is a ply of Colorlash yarn.

Above is a sample of the batt and a single ply yarn.


This is the two ply yarn.

Sample 3 shows the second ply as white Merino/Montdale

Sample 4 shows a novelty commercially spun yarn as the second ply.


Sample 5 shows another commercially spun yarn as the second ply.


Sample 6 shows yet another commercially prepared yarn as a second ply.
Which do you prefer? I like them all, but I think I like the Colorlash yarn the best. I went to Yarns in Salina on the way to a visit with family this weekend. I picked up a $5.00 grab bag. In that bag, I used two of the 3 balls of yarn in the samples above. The 3rd ball of yarn was used for a new scarf.

You can't forget about my new mug. Isn't it cute! On the handle and inside, it says," Knit One Sip One." The best thing of all is the color. Pink!

No comments: