Monday, August 29, 2011

Do you create to live or live to create?

Many times I can't wait until the weekend when I am off work in order to create.  The skein of yarn I make from raw wool.  I wash it, dye it, add fun ingredients and wallah!  You can't buy the same kind of enthusiasm you feel about a project when you buy manufactured yarn.  Don't get me wrong, I like to create with manufactured yarn, but it is so much better when I create a one of a kind item with homespun yarn which I created with my hands.  

I also feel this pride when I make soap using oils, lye, and fun ingredients.  How can you compete with (store bought) manufactured soap?  Each creator has his or her unique combination of ingredients and technique, aside from using the necessary basic ingredients.  I have to curb my enthusiasm  when I smell the sweet fragrance, see the lather on my skin, view the color combinations and the difference of each bar, feel the way the butters and oils leave my skin so touchable soft, and of course, view the added sparkle.

I make items for hearth and home, like grandma made, but I want them to sparkle, be made the best I am capable of, and add ingredients which were not available to grandma to improve on the products.

The following pictures are some of my weekend creations.
Batts to spin.










Yarns to knit or crochet with.









A small tea cozy or mug cozy.

What is important to you when you create?  Is it the process or the product or both?

May you and yours be showered with blessings!  Dawn

No comments: