Monday, October 22, 2012



Finally you get to see the completed pumpkin pillows.  The stems are made from cotton fabric with a little rick rack decoration on it.  The pillow in the back is a brick red, but it shows up as a magenta.  The dark pumpkin pillow is one from Pier 1.  I think it looks classier; however, I do like the orange color of mine better.  I was able to make 3 of my version for about the same price as one from Pier 1.  I used 1/2 a yard of baby dot fleece fabric for all 3.  I started with 18" squares and cut circles out of the squares. Then I gathered the tops about 1/2" from the edge.  I used fabric glue to hold them in place after I gathered them with 4 threads.  Before I glued the tops, I stuffed the pillows with polyester fiberfill.  I figured the pillows would not stay gathered if they were used with normal wear and tear.  (We are not too delicate at our home.)  All 3 tops were made with one fat quarter of fabric.  (For non-sewers, a fat quarter is 1/4 of a yard of fabric measured as an 18" square.  I sewed the stems with a sewing machine, stuffed them with polyester fiberfill, and sewed them onto the pumpkin bases by hand once the glue dried.  I used less than 2 packages of polyester fiberfill for the pillow bases and stems.  No pumpkin or stem is the same as another, so I didn't care if one had a lump here or there or a stem was bent.  

Thanks for viewing my blog.

Blessings to you and yours!  Dawn

No comments: