Friday, August 10, 2012

Are you a giver or a taker?

I wonder how many people realize that they are always giving and not getting an equal amount in return.  I am talking about caring for others by showing them with kind words, nursing them when they are ill, cooking for them, cleaning for them, etc.  With your children, you expect to be the giver.  Eventually they will trade roles and become more of a giver than a taker.  With friends, you will be a giver at times and other times a taker.  Friends want to help you out when they can, but they do not want to be taken advantage of.  If your friend goes through an illness you are there for them.  You may be more giving at this time, but over the long haul, you usually balance out between giving and taking.  I don't like to feel indebted to someone, so I tend to give more.  I know it is a fault of mine, but I hate the feeling of owing someone.  I don't want someone to come back on me and say that I did not pay for something or contribute my fair share toward something.  Recently someone told me that they felt that they got more from our friendship than I received.  Up until then, I hadn't  realized that I gave so much to others.  I know that giving is relative and what I feel is a lot may not be much by other standards.  However, if someone realizes that they are taker, should they not step up and make changes so they are not taking advantage of his or her friend and step away from his or her selfish ways?  What do you think?  I hope this does not read like a riddle and you are able to reflect on your life and determine if you are a giver or a taker.  Thank you for tuning in!  Dawn

No comments: