Thursday, October 31, 2019

Quilting and Crocheting



Not long ago I found 3 quilt blocks with the Dresden plate design.  I have always loved this design.  The stitching around the design is made with a blanket stitch in pink thread and of course by hand.  Most people would pass this purchase up since the blocks are older and limited to 3.  I decided to make the quilt blocks into a table runner.  I cut the blocks down, did the sewing on the top and I was making the ties when I folded the project up for the evening.    Oh no!  I was about 3/4 of an inch or more off on the end measurements.  I was so careful measuring and cutting---or at least I thought I was.  I took over half of the table runner apart, corrected the size issue, placed the table runner back together and I now enjoy it on my table.  



If you come across a single quilt square or two and you love it,  don't pass up the purchase.  There are several ways to use quilt squares.  Fabric strips can be sewn around a quilt square to make it larger and use it as a table topper.  It doesn't have to be quilted with bound edges.  I have used a quilt block I made (it looked vintage) for placing under a decorative item in a decorative grouping in the family room.  I hung the edge of the quilt block over the top of our bookcase.  This quilt top had raw edges.  Also, if you have a newer quilt block and you live in a country home or farmhouse, don't forget that you can tea stain quilt blocks used for decor.  My last suggestion is to use a quilt block as a backing for family pictures.  





Since I am not working at this time, I seem to have plenty of time to do projects.  I am using some of my hand-spun wool yarn and making winter hats.  If you need one, check out my Etsy shop.  




How is everything going for you?  I hope all is well. 

I do appreciate you viewing my blog post.  Dawnie


No comments: