Saturday, August 23, 2014

Bread Maker Mix and Other Things

I added a little more yeast to this batch since my yeast was getting old.  I should have stayed with the recipe so it wouldn't have sunk in on the top.  Live and learn.
I added dried cherries in the mix.

I endeavor to save prep time for cooking.  One of the ways I am doing this is to make up mixes for my bread maker, for muffins, for seasoning mixes,etc.  Along with time saving methods, I need to make foods which cater to my food allergies.  My main food allergy is any food containing MSG.  It is in almost anything that contains salt.  I will be sharing in this blog anything I feel will be helpful for others who have similar allergies.



Yield:  6 loaves of bread from this mixture
A quart jar will hold the mixture for a loaf of bread.

Mix the following ingredients well:
*21 cups of flour
*1.5 cups of sugar

*Place on top of each jar 1 tablespoon of yeast

Notes:
*I like to sift my mixture together using a large strainer.
*I don’t add dry milk since I add milk when make the bread. 
*I don’t add salt when I bake, but it is just my preference.
*My preference is honey, but it is a liquid and it can't go into the dry ingredients ahead of time.

When you are ready to bake, pour the contents of the jar into the bread maker.  Then add:
1 1/2-2 cups warm milk
2-4 tablespoons softened butter

Notes: 
*Don’t make the milk mixture too hot or the yeast won’t activate. 
*Butter and milk help to soften the bread; the more butter, the softer the bread.
*I realize oil will work but butter makes the loaf more flavorful too.

On the bread maker push the button for the light loaf.  Adjust baking time if necessary.


Some optional ingredients to add are as follows:
*Spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and dill
*Dried fruits such as raisins, dried cherries, chopped dates
*Nuts and seeds such as sunflower seeds, chopped pecans, chopped walnuts
*Fresh fruit such as bananas, blueberries, raspberries
*For an Italian meal add: minced garlic, shredded or grated cheese, diced pepperoni, and a small amount of Italian seasoning

*Cooked chopped bacon 

Place the following instructions on each jar:
 
To make a 2 pound loaf of bread, set your bread maker to light loaf and add the following ingredients:
Contents in this container
1 1/2-2 cups warm milk with 2-4 tablespoons softened butter

Please view my web store at: http://www.custercottage.com
And my Etsy shop at https://www.etsy.com/shop/CusterCottage


Have a joyous weekend!  Dawnie

No comments: