Monday, April 8, 2013

In a Jam


I had my strawberry apron on hand too. 
I made a double batch of Strawberry Citrus Jam yesterday.  I found a lady on Craigslist that was ordering in strawberries from Florida.  I had to get some.  The car had that heavenly scent of fresh strawberries on our trip back from her farm.  With a 19, 20, and 21 year old and myself, the food budget needs all of the help it can get.  I haven't canned for several years, but I decided it was time to give it a go again.  My ingredients were: 14 cups sugar, 2 extra large lemons, 2 blood oranges, (I crushed and pureed the citrus fruits and used most of the rind, 9 cups crushed and pureed strawberries, 2 boxes pectin, 2 tablespoons of citric acid, and one tablespoon butter.  The jam tasted OK last night, but today after it set longer and I refrigerated the family container, it was wonderful!  The texture turned out perfect too.  If you haven't made jam or it has been a while for you, maybe it is time to go for it again.  It makes great gifts too.  Thank you for viewing my blog.  Many blessings for you and yours!  Dawn

No comments: