Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Rainbow Dying Rambouillet and Wisteria Blooms



This week I have been rainbow dying Rambouillet wool.  I purchased the wool from a farmer.  Then I scoured it, dyed it, and placed it on the porch to dry.  Many people wash the wool in the washing machine by soaking it in soapy water and then draining and spinning the water off.  The wool is not agitated in the washer or it would become a big felt ball.  Since Rambouillet is a next to your skin soft wool, it tends to be more fragile and I didn't want to take my chances.  Rainbow dying is when you place 3 or more colors in the dye pot.  These colors mingle and you get a surprise every time.  I have one on the range in a dye pot now.  I used pink, 3 colors of blue, a purple, and a yellow.  I never use this many colors and I am anxious to see what I may get once I take the wool out of the pot.  I have a couple of pictures of the drying wool and the one on the right looks like I used many colors in the dye pot.  I only used three colors and the wool turned out with many shades of red, purple, yellow, green, turquoise,and  blue.  Obviously you need to keep colors away from each other that play off each other and turn the wool a mucky color.  I try to avoid putting green and red together since it turns a brownish color.  I prefer to use natural colored sheep for my browns, so I do not intentionally dye my wool brown.  Notice I used the word intentionally.  LOL




The colors of the wool are very vivid and beautiful, but I have something else that is equally beautiful that I wish to share with you.  I planted 2 Wisteria plants at least 10 years ago.  They have not ever bloomed more than a couple of blooms.  Today, I have many blooms! 

No comments: