Thursday, April 11, 2019

Birthday cupcakes and socks


I had a birthday this week and a  co-worker made adorable cupcakes.   See the spool of thread?




Above is a baby picture of me.   How old do you think I am?
Hint, the picture is in black and white.



I am still making socks.  I have made a few changes to the original basic plain socks.  I had to change to a size 0 needle, instead of using size 2.  The 0 needle is close to the size of a toothpick!  I also decreased the number of stitches from 64 to 60.  This was still not enough to hug my foot correctly.  I decreased the stitches by 4 again, after the heel and instep area.  I also made changes to the heel.  The above sock was made using an afterthought heel.  I experimented with my method and I am still tweaking it.  

I am making another pair of socks and they seem to be much better, but I am still thinking about the heel.  The corners of the heel tend to have larger holes in the stitches and it is not attractive.  Even the best knitters have issues with this.  This problem arises with the traditional method of making socks and with an afterthought heel.  An afterthought heel is when a sock is made without adding a heel until after the sock is made.  Then stitches are picked up where the heel would go and it is knitted in.  
One sock finished!


Heel

Toe

Cuff

How have you been?  Are you working on any projects?  I would love to hear from you.

Have a great week!  Dawnie


No comments: