Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Pumpkin Spice Handmade Soap

I purchased a new mold for making soap.  It is made with HDPE ( High-density polyethylene).  The bottom board has a lining made with silicone.   When I have purchased molds of this type in the past, the mold dividers were not long enough to reach the edge, allowing the possibility of a curve of the divider which would make odd shaped  bars of soap. These type of molds may also be harder to unmold.  I tried the new mold out this weekend.  After placing the batter into the mold, I grabbed the divider edge to lift the mold and give it a good tap to remove the air bubbles.  I wasn't thinking and I lifted the dividers off the base. Oh, sugar!  That was not a thing to do!  I had a major clean up to do on the table and the floor.  I was able to miraculously place the dividers right back into place and add more soap batter to fill up the bar spaces.  Whoosh!  It could have been much worse.  Next time I use this mold, I will place it on top of another board and give the bottom board the air bubble removal wacks. 

The soap took a little longer to set up enough to come out of this mold, in comparison to my silicone loaf molds.  The soap heated up a little too much and cracked the top of a few bars and a couple bars spewed out a little from a crack.  The soap bars remind me of pumpkin bread and how they crack down the center when baking.   I usually unmold my silicone molds in 8 hours or so.  With this mold, I unmolded it in  32 hours.  It really was pretty easy to remove the dividers.  I purchased the mold here:  https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1486020898









This is the pumpkin spice hand made soap.

Thank you for viewing my blog.  Dawnie


No comments: