Thursday, February 16, 2012

That One Thing You Were Put On Earth to Accomplish

Tonight, as I was sewing an edging on a baby quilt my grandmother Mary began, I started thinking.  This is going to get deep, so put your boots on.  I think all of us are put on this planet for a reason.  I haven't figured my reasons out, but I hope something I did, (which was positive), will outlive me.  People may be placed on this planet to give birth to someone that will become famous or infamous.  They may be here to build something important, or to lead a nation, or to preach the gospel to millions, (I know we are all to spread the gospel, but that is another blog post.), maybe to teach children in school, or be a Sunday school teacher.  I think you get the drift.  Well, I have put off finishing a baby quilt for nearly 30 years.  This quilt  was for my little brother.  My grandmother started it and I was to finish it.  I wasn't in a hurry since my brother never married nor had children.  We thought.  A few years ago, I found out that he may have a child out of wedlock, but we are still not 100% sure since he will not do the DNA tests.  His son is now around 28 years old.  I visit with my nephew on the telephone from time to time and we have exchanged pictures.  He has some of the family traits and looks a lot like myself.  Now, back to what I started blogging about.  (Sorry, I know when it comes to stories, I take the long way around and get lost a time or two.)  I was wondering as I was sewing this quilt if this is the one thing I was placed on this planet to do.  If so, this may be one of the last acts I do.  LOL  This quilt is soooooo adorable.  It has more character than any other quilt I have seen.  It is made from with fabric squares which are about 2" X 2" and made from scraps saved from old clothing.  Most of the seams on one row do not match up with the seams of the next row.  One I found was inside out.  One had a seam on the front in the square.  Grandmother was in her 80's when she made the quilt top.  She was the best hand quilter.  When it came to sewing and putting together quilt tops, she had the philosophy of "Get er Done!"  I am a lot like that.  My mother is able to sew perfect seams effortlessly and quickly.  I have to work at slowing down and doing the seams right.  I hope my little brother hangs this quilt on a wall and enjoys it just as I have.  It was lovingly made and I am enjoying every little square!  I will display the quilt once I stretch it onto the frame and as I progress toward the completion of it.

Thank you for reading my blog.  I wish you and yours many blessings!  Dawn

No comments: